The Preawards Office helps AgBioResearch departments, units and faculty members prepare and submit grant applications and contracts. The Preawards Office focuses on large proposals involving multiple departments, units, colleges or institutions.
Preawards Office staff members are available to assist with large multidisciplinary proposals with an AgBioResearch-supported PI or program project or centers with an AgBioResearch-supported PI.
All requests for services must come via the faculty member's department chair or department administrator.
- Budget and budget justification review.
- Identification of unique funding opportunities matched to faculty expertise.
- Direct assistance with preparing and submitting large grant and contract proposals that involve multiple colleges, units and/or institutions (e.g., schedule planning meetings, create timelines, prepare budget, etc.)
- Liaison between AgBioResearch-affiliated colleges, departments and units, and the MSU Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and Contract and Grant Administration (CGA).
- Development of standardized practices related to the grant and contract processes in conjunction with grant administrators in AgBioResearch-affiliated colleges, departments and units, the OSP and CGA.
- Regular updates on regulatory changes for AgBioResearch faculty and staff members.
- Grantwriting workshops for AgBioResearch faculty members.
- Practical orientation for new faculty members on MSU policies and procedures for matriculating a proposal through the university.
- Signature authority for AgBioResearch, MSU Extension and the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources dean's office.
- Assistance in IDC distribution, matching requirements and cost-share negotiations.
- Review of proposal package for completeness, accuracy and compliance with potential sponsor and MSU requirements.
- Initial contact for cost-share requests outside of department or unit.
- Initial contact for waiver or reduction of overhead.
- Training for department administrators so they can help faculty members prepare proposals.
- Close coordination with other MSU administrative units to facilitate and promote research.
- Identification of core labs and facilities on campus.
517-355-0123, ext. 113
Associate Director, AgBioResearch
517-355-0123, ext. 109